[SR-Users] Kamailio 5.0 - pseudo variable name cleanup

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 16:50:22 CET 2016

Hello,

Personally, I have to go to the documentation anyhow, especially for
functions, where the name is anyhow suggestive, but there are too many
to remember by heart and know their parameters.

Also, one of the benefits for short names is a compact string when
printing them with xlog() or as part of function parameters.

Anyhow, it is possible to have different names for same variable. For
example, even right now:

 - $ruri is same as $ru
 - $ruri.user is same as $rU
 - $ruri.domain is same as $rd

So if the people wants alternatives, it is easy to add -- just exporting
same structure as for an existing PV, but with a different name.

Moreover, I do not think one (or many) would like $xavp(x) to become
$extended_attribute_value_pair(x) ... so new names should not make the
config look ugly...

Maybe the best way to move forward on this is to build a list of PVs
that should get aliased names and decide which should be those. I hope
not to start some flame wars, given it won't be any technical, but just
taste about names and patterns...

On 03/03/16 13:30, Sven Neuhaus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a suggestion for Kamailio 5.0 is to get rid of the cryptic, case
> sensitive pseudo-variable names.
> Instead we replace them with descriptive names like the ones already
> provided by the TLS module.
>
> The current pseudo variables are a constant nuisance unless you deal
> with Kamailio every day and know them all by heart. They are an
> unnecessary barrier for new users learning Kamailio and force you to
> refer to the documentation more often than necessary.
>
> Ideally there would be a script to replace old variable names in
> configuration files with the new ones to make the transition less painful.
>
> -Sven

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
Kamailio Advanced Training, Berlin, March 7-9, 2016 - http://www.asipto.com