[SR-Users] Kamailio 5.0 - Scripted DB Migrations

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 16:30:38 CET 2016

Hello,

kamcli tool is a good candidate for such feature, it is python and quite
modular:

  - https://github.com/asipto/kamcli

Adding migrating db feature was one of my goals for this tool, but lack
of time didn't allow me to dig much into python, as I am not using this
programming language that often. Maybe others can jump on board and help
here.

On 02/03/16 18:21, Tim Chubb wrote:

> As a suggestion for 5.0 having a scripted DB migration system would
> make upgrading much easier.
>
> Something like what Asterisk now uses (Alembic
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/alembic) would be ideal, as it works in a
> DB agnostic manner and you would just have to ensure that there is a
> driver for the DB you wish to use.
>
> That way you would just update the definition script and select the
> target when you run the updater, and would allow kamailio a greater
> choice in backing DB’s as once the script is written assuming a driver
> is available for you RDBMS the schema would be successfully ported.
>
> This would do away with maintaining separate MySQL, Postgres, Oracle,
> MSSQL scripts as well.
>
> The only issue I can think with a system like this is in the situation
> where hardcoded SQL strings are in the source and use a RDBMS specific
> function as that could cause some “fun” in debugging…

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
Kamailio Advanced Training, Berlin, March 7-9, 2016 - http://www.asipto.com