[SR-Users] Kamailio as a front-end proxy

Anton Tonev anton.tonev at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 14:19:50 CET 2016

Hello Richard,

thank you for the reply. My comments are below between the lines.

> You have several options:
>
> 1. If your SIP server supports an "outbound proxy" configuration, set that
> parameter to the IP:port of Kamailio, then it will send all INVITEs to
> Kamailio. You will need to configure RR and you might still need some
> mangling in Kamailio to work around NAT, depending on your SIP client run
> by Alice and Bob.

*A: Unfortunately my server does not have such option.*

> 2. If you can't set outbound proxy then you could use Kamailio to edit the
> contact header.  Again you will need to configure RR and you might still
> need some mangling in Kamailio to work around NAT, depending on your SIP
> client run by Alice and Bob.

*A: When you say here, edit the contact header. Do you mean that Kamailio
has to replace the IP/host by its ip/host ? For example if the caller has
the following contact 1001 at 192.168.0.0.1 and  Kamailio has a
public_IP_Kamailio, than the replacement should result as
1001 at public_IP_Kamailio ?*

*At his stage of my work, Kamailio is configured and has the ability to
detect that the caller is NATed. For the moment when Kamailio detects this
situation, it changes the contact header of the caller by replacing his
local ip by the public ip of caller's network.*

3. Only if you have multiple Kamailio proxies sharing one SIP server and
> the SIP server supports RFC3327 (i.e. the Path header) then you could could
> try get this to work with the Kamailio path module. This is the most
> difficult approach and the least likely to work in my opinion.

*A: At the moment I am not very sure but I think that my sip server does
not implement the Path header.*

> So if you can choose an option then we can try to help you with that.
>
> Regards,
> Richard

Best regards,

Anton