[SR-Users] Kamailio Load Balancer Architecture

Daryn Johnson djohnson at telnetww.com
Thu Jun 30 17:49:24 CEST 2016

Collin,

My apologies for the lack of clarity.  We are desiring to use multiple sets
of each task (Load Balancer) (Proxy Registrar) (App Servers).  My main
reason for the post and inquiry is to determine if separating the roles to
multiple machine(s) is a common architecture, and if there are any
suggestions in doing this.
Your response actually points me in the right direction though - using
stateless/transaction-stateful Kamailio instances as edge proxies

*Daryn Johnson*

*Senior VoIP Engineer*

248.485.1109

*www.telnetww.com* <http://www.telnetww.com>
1175 W. Long Lake Rd. | Suite 101 | Troy, MI 48098

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 11:18 AM, Colin Morelli <colin.morelli at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> makes this impossible, but why does it seem like nobody wants to run
> multiple Kamailio load balancers in a cluster? sip.yourcompany.com can
> have A/SRV records pointing to multiple IP addresses of separate Kamailio
> instances. As long as the edge proxies are either stateless, or
> transaction-stateful (i.e. not dialog stateful) this should provide both
> availability and scalability at the edge.
>
> Is there something that makes this infeasible in Kamailio?
>
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 11:15 AM Giacomo Vacca <giacomo.vacca at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Daryn,
>> it may not be an overkill, depending on the constrains you have. For
>> example if the clients can possibly only be instructed to connect to a
>> single public IP address (5.5.5.5 in your example), while you want to be
>> able to scale the Kamailio architecture with multiple instances, then it
>> can be a viable approach. Remember though that the Load Balancer will be
>> your Single Point Of Failure. If the Load Balancer dies, for any reason,
>> the service is not available.
>>
>> There has been an interesting thread in this mailing list recently, on
>> techniques to provide active/stand-by redundancy to a Kamailio deployment:
>> "High Availability".
>>
>> Depending on the capabilities of the clients you may consider removing
>> the Load Balancer from the equation and perform DNS-based load balancing
>> across your Proxy/Registrar/PSTN Gw instances. You'd be removing a SPOF,
>> use one fewer machine, and simplify the architecture. This is not always
>> possible to achieve though, because it delegates load balancing and fail
>> over to the clients.
>>
>> Giacomo
>>

>> On 30 June 2016 at 17:03, Daryn Johnson <djohnson at telnetww.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am interested in opinions and suggestions about load balancing with
>>> Kamailio.  I work for an ITSP that currently uses Oracle & Broadsoft, and I
>>> am working to design and develop an open source solution using Kamailio
>>> (Proxy, Registrar, LB) &  other Application/Media servers for more
>>> flexibility and freedom :)  Thank you ALL for the work you have put in on
>>> Kamailio!
>>>
>>> After much reading and configuration I have a Kamailio 'proxy' setup,
>>> with endpoints registered using the Registrar module, and calls being
>>> sent/received to/from the PSTN. I am interested in separating the Load
>>> Balancers from the Registrars & logic, for security and in order to be able
>>> to scale appropriately.  I will be using the dispatcher module for both
>>> load balancers and proxies using the following architecture:
>>>
>>> PublicIP = 5.5.5.5; Private IP = 192.168.1.0/24
>>>
>>> USERS (Public Internet) ==> (public: 5.5.5.5)  [ Kamailio (LoadBalancer,
>>> Firewall, Sanity Checks) ] (core:192.168.1.2) ==> [ Kamailio Registrar,
>>> Proxy, PSTN GW ] ==> AppServers or PSTN GW
>>>
>>> (we can access our PSTN gateways Via our Core using Private IPs)

>>> 1) Is it overkill to separate the LB & Proxy/Registrars?
>>> 2) Is this a common architecture & anyone configured this architecture