[SR-Users] High availability

Moacir Ferreira moacirferreira at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 5 23:26:37 CEST 2016

Hi,

Sorry... I should have mentioned before. You guys are thinking on the standard Internet SIP calls' behavior while I am trying to use Kamailio on a large "industrial" project. This said:

Assuming that the end-point is "smart", the DNS method is functional but it would take quite a while before the UA (phone) recovers from the previous name/IP binding it has in cache;
SRV is good for a "smart" UA that, unfortunately, is not the case;
Same for the phone units as they are industrial "Help Points" and so quite "dummy".

While I never tested it, I thought I could use two Kamailio servers with a mysql cluster like mariadb-galera where, for Kamailio functions, one server would be "active" and another "passive" server. Then use keepalived for monitoring the "active" Kamailio and starting the "passive" server if the active Kamailio fails. Without any testing, tests that I think I should have done before putting questions in here, my questions are:

Suppose that  I have two Kamailio servers, one "active" and another one "passive" (not running) where the mysql databases are synchronized in between two servers using MySQL Galera. Using keepalived I would monitor the active Kamailio instance. Should it fails, start the "passive" Kamailio instance using the same MySQL database that were supposed to be synchronized. Would this new Kamailio instance be able to find a called number? Why this question? As long as I understand, Kamailio will always challenge the UA for authentication before making a call, so if this second server gets a call request it would just challenge and authenticate the caller. The "key point" would be having this new Kamailio instance aware about the called destinations. So, delivering a MySQL database, with the latest data the active Kamailio had, to this new Kamailio instance would be enough to allow it find the called party?

Anyway, can you guys comment on my "thoughts"? Is it possible? Am I missing something? Would you suggest another approach for such scenario?

Cheers!
Moacir