[SR-Users] Video conferencing with Kamailio

Jay Li chyumm at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 11 17:40:09 CEST 2016

Fred,
Thanks a lot your detailed explanation. About the media server addition to Kamailio, do you have any suggestions I should look into besides Jitsi and FreeSWITCH? Thanks.
Regards,Jay

    On Friday, July 8, 2016 7:32 AM, Fred Posner <fred at palner.com> wrote:

 On 07/08/2016 12:36 AM, Jay Li wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I'm curious if anybody has set up an infrastructure for video
> conferencing utilizing Kamailio as a proxy (like NAT support and so so).
> I found a kind of old tutorial "Run you own Skype-like service in less
> than one hour" kamailio:skype-like-service-in-less-than-one-hour [Asipto
> - SIP and VoIP Knowledge Base Site]
> <http://kb.asipto.com/kamailio:skype-like-service-in-less-than-one-hour> written
> in 2013 on Kamailio 3.1. I wonder if this feature has been further
> developed in later releases. I know Kamailio is more often used as a SIP
> proxy, but somehow I got the impression that Kamailio supports WebRTC,
> so I wonder if it's possible to implement a many to many video
> conferencing infrastructure using Kamailio. If the answer is yes, how's
>  the performance or the bottleneck I should pay more attention to (maybe
> bandwidth for video traffic, especially with NAT? ) Anyway I'm a newbie
> to both Kamailio and video conference, so any suggestion/discussion is
> appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Jay

Jay,

The principles in the tutorial hold true today, and yes, kamailio does
support WebRTC. Assuming you want your video conference to have more
that two parties, you will also need a media server in addition to Kamailio.

Kamailio does not handle the mixing, timing, etc of media to enable
multi-person video conferencing. So, you will need this being done
either by a separate media server or endpoint capable of doing this.

There are some products like Jitsi Video Bridge and FreeSWITCH that
support video conferencing "out of the box." You can combine these with
Kamailio as well to handle additional security, authentication, etc.

--
Fred Posner
@fredposner