[SR-Users] [SR-USERS] Kamailio issues with Asterisk Voicemail

Daniel Tryba d.tryba at pocos.nl
Tue Jul 5 17:36:48 CEST 2016

Please keep the mailinglist in the loop, so everybody might benefit from
our ramblings :)

> Still there are few things i dont understand, i am not using asterisk
> just as a voicemail server since they are actually handling also the
> calls passing first from kamailio and being load balanced to those
> asterisk boxes. May i still use call forwarding as you are using it?
> (Both asterisk have a shared storage with a clustered filesystem, so
> both will be able to see voice messages)

Yes I think so. I use a seperate machine for voicemail but I see no
problem with other uses (I used to use it for playback of messages and
transcoding ebtween incompatible endpoints).

By using the prefixes in kamailio to the username in $ru I have in the
extensions.conf:

exten => _tovm-.,1,NoOp(leave voicemail)
exten => _tovm-.,n,Answer()
exten => _tovm-.,n,Set(CHANNEL(language)=nl)
exten => _tovm-.,n,Voicemail(${EXTEN:5},us)
exten => _tovm-.,n,Playback(Goodbye)
exten => _tovm-.,n,Hangup()

exten => _getvm-.,1,NoOp(read voicemail)
exten => _getvm-.,n,Set(CHANNEL(language)=nl)
exten => _getvm-.,n,VoicemailMain(${EXTEN:6})
exten => _getvm-.,n,Hangup()

> The other question is that i actually though that you need asterisk to
> have users configured in sipusers realtime table to associate their
> mailboxes, which i dont have since those users are stored in the
> subscriber table of kamailio. So am i still able to configure
> voicemail like you are doing it by syncing with the voicemail table?,
> i really hope so haha

I forgot that fact. So yes I have a realtime sip users list (with
host=dynamic,type=friend,insecure=port,invite, name/mailbox the kamailio
username, no password (this machine is not directly accessible from
outside))

You might not be able to have endpoints able to subscribe to
notifications due to this. I baked something inspired by:
http://saevolgo.blogspot.nl/2012/07/asterisk-behind-kamailio-voicemail-mwi.html
that appears to work for me.