[SR-Users] Detecting calls with missing ACK (Lazy SIP scanners)

Marrold kamailio at marrold.co.uk
Tue Apr 5 14:22:33 CEST 2016

I am interested in 'fingerprinting' various SIP scanner attacks and using
them to intelligently block attacks, rather than just blindly black listing
any SIP message to a honey pot.

Additionally I think it would be wise to detect these missing ACKs and/or
incomplete transactions from a legitimately mis-configured or
malfunctioning end point, to help protect the core network from needless
re-transmissions.

Having checked the Asterisk logs, this is what I'm looking to block if a
certain threshold is exceeded-

[2016-04-05 13:10:52] WARNING[2010] chan_sip.c: Retransmission timeout
reached on transmission eff430b8c1b6d21c2058049f41a7ec57 for seqno 1
(Critical Response)

Thanks