[SR-Users] Detecting calls with missing ACK (Lazy SIP scanners)

Marrold kamailio at marrold.co.uk
Tue Apr 5 01:09:29 CEST 2016

Hi,

I have been running a couple of Asterisk honey pots to get a better
understanding of the tools and methods potential hackers are using to
exploit SIP servers.

I have observed many attacks from the 'sipcli' user agent that don't send
ACKs.

At this stage I'm not sure what they're trying to achieve, whether it's a
successful call to one of their test numbers, or maybe they will brute
force anything that returns a 401 later, or maybe they're waiting for a 18X
response.

Below are three typical scenarios-

------ INVITE ------ >
<--- 100 Trying ---
<----- 200 OK -----
<----- 200 OK -----
<----- 200 OK -----
( No ACK)

------ INVITE ------ >
<-------- 503 --------
<-------- 503 --------
<-------- 503 --------
( No ACK)

( No ACK)

Please could anyone point me in the right direction to detect these non
completed calls with a missing ACK in Kamailio? I am unsure on the
terminology I should be using to search the online documentation.

Thanks