[SR-Users] Familiar topic about Kamailio with Asterisk behind NAT

Dirk Teurlings - SIGNET B.V. dteurlings at signet.nl
Wed Sep 30 10:22:51 CEST 2015

Hi,

I found some existing topics on this but failed to get a solutions out
of them.

We're running into some issues with client devices connecting to our
private addresses. The way it is setup now:

      CLIENTS <-> (NAT) <-> INTERNET <-> KAMAILIO(4.2.5) with
RTPPROXY(v1) <-> PRIVATE LAN <-> ASTERISK (v1.8)

Our Kamaialio and Asterisk are in a private address range, but Kamailio
also has a public interface. Most of the clients (about 95%) work well
with this setup, but a couple don't. We have one case now where the
CLIENT tries to connect to the private address of ASTERISK. And of
course, that doesn't work.

I'm kind of stuck as to where I need to fix this. I tried using the
externaddr option in Asterisk to solve it on that end. But that didn't
help anything. The NAT options in Kamailio are not really suited for
this, as they tend to fix client NAT problems.

Any pointer or help would be greatly appriciated.

Cheers,
Dirk