[SR-Users] Detecting problems of kamailio under very high load

aft aftnix at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 07:21:10 CET 2015

We have multiple kamailio servers with 4 cpu cores and 16G RAM.

We use kamailio+rtpproxy as a outbound sip proxy. Usually there are
many thousands of concurrent sip sessions of occurring there.
Periodically sometimes it just stops serving request and spits out 5**
replies. At that point we usually reload the kamailio daemon and
things return back to normal. As we have a lot of servers, manually
doing this is a pain in the neck. So We installed a homer/sipcapture
on a separate server . And from there, we periodically scan for 500
msgs for a given time interval. If there are any, we then proceed to
reload kamailio.

I know its hell of an inefficient system to monitor.

So I'm wondering, if there can be any more rational way to detect
problems pre-emptively. any fifo/mi command which we could run to find
out if the kamailio instance is hung up?

Cheers
Arif