[SR-Users] Timer Process versus Slow Timer Process

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Fri May 8 09:22:27 CEST 2015

Hello,

On 07/05/15 16:32, Mack Hendricks wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking to have a better understanding of when to use the Timer
> process versus the "Slow Timer" Process.  This is what I came up with,
> but please correct me:
>
>   * The “*Timer*” process is used to handle core processing within
>     Kamailio.  Therefore, you don’t want to put long running logic
>     into the routing handler
>
>   * The “*Slow Timer*” process can be used for long running processes

Pretty much so -- see in the source tree the file: doc/timers.txt -- it
has some more details there for proper understanding.

Also note that you can create your own timer processes if you write your
own c module -- rtimer module can be used to see some examples of how to
do it. With rtimer you can actually create new timer processes that
execute config route blocks periodically.

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
Kamailio World Conference, May 27-29, 2015