[SR-Users] Regarding IMS/RCS complaint clients for Kamailio IMS/RCS server

Carsten Bock carsten at ng-voice.com
Tue Mar 31 12:02:49 CEST 2015

Hi,

just to add a little to this topic and on file transfers:
If you look at Camarillo and Garcia-Martin's book "The 3G IP
Multimedia Subsystem (IMS)" (often referred to as the "Big yellow
book" on IMS, one of the standard books on IMS), it says, that you
should announce an MSRP-Relay in the DNS for File-Transfers. This is a
feature, you can achieve with Kamailio out of the box.

However, the 3rd and latest edition of this book was published in 2011...

If you look at the Specs for RCS-e (aka. JOYN), then this is no longer
valid. You need to implement some sort of MSRP B2B-UA, you need to
implement "Store and forward", as the standard RCS-clients won't
trigger a MSRP relay. This feature cannot be achieved with Kamailio at
the moment.

Also, if you look at the presence stuff associated with RCS-e/JOYN,
you will need further enhancements to Kamailio's presence
infrastructure, to achieve compability.

This is of course a pure RCS-e/Joyn point of view and it does not
cover all previous releases of GSMA's RCS specs.

However, i also did not come accross any other RCS deployments
(neither network nor device) than RCS-e/JOYN.

Thanks,
Carsten

> Le Wed, 25 Mar 2015 02:44:37 -0700,
> MadhuManjushaAripirala <amanju0211 at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
>> Can I be able to enhance Kamailio 4.2.x IMS/RCS based server to
>> implement file transfer feature in it?
>
> Hi,
>
> keep in mind that kamailio only takes care of SIP signaling, and RCS
> file transfer use MSRP to transfer data. Now this is not 100%
> true, since kamailio also has a MSRP relay feature, that I've never
> tried.
>
> If you want to implement this feature, you can either let the clients
> do peer-to-peer media, or use a MSRP relay. For the latter case you
> will have to make kamailio modify the SDP to redirect media flows.
>
> --
> Camille

Carsten Bock
CEO (Geschäftsführer)

ng-voice GmbH
Schomburgstr. 80
D-22767 Hamburg / Germany

http://www.ng-voice.com
mailto:carsten at ng-voice.com

Office +49 40 5247593-0
Fax +49 40 5247593-99

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Hamburg, HRB 120189
Geschäftsführer: Carsten Bock
Ust-ID: DE279344284

Hier finden Sie unsere handelsrechtlichen Pflichtangaben:
http://www.ng-voice.com/imprint/