[SR-Users] What is the best SIP trunk authentication strategy

Daniel Tryba d.tryba at pocos.nl
Wed Mar 18 17:03:54 CET 2015

On Wednesday 18 March 2015 08:32:10 canuck15 wrote:
> I can run a cron job every hour to DNS lookup and update the ip_addr
> table as needed so I think this is a satisfactory solution for IP
> authentication.

Is there a mechanism to identify all originating servers for a
hostname/domain? If the answer is no (and AFAIK is it) then this solution
doesn't work.

I used this in the past, a subscriber has a userpref with ip/port combo. But
this ins't an answer for subaccounts on trunks (unles you can get the sender
to actually use different ports). 3 is the whitelist for ip adresses on
record. I abandoned this due to to much problems with trunks, they just have
to authenticate or go elsewere.

BTW only for tcp since udp sources can be spoofed. I guess the best way is to
use tls with certificate verification (good luck getting the trunks to
implement this :)

route[AUTHENTICATE]
{
        if(!is_method("REGISTER") && allow_address("3", "$si", "$sp") &&
$proto=="tcp")
        {
                if(!avp_db_query("select username from usr_preferences where
attribute='ip_authentication' and domain='$td' and (value='$si:$sp' or value
like '$si:%') order by length(value) limit 1"))
                {
                        xlog("L_ALERT","ACL: $rm from $fu (IP:$si:$sp)\n");
                        sl_send_reply("403", "Not Allowed by AUTHENTICATE
ACL");
                        exit;
                }

                $avp(au)=$avp(i:1);
        }
        else
        {
                $var(authenticated)=www_authenticate("$td", "subscriber");

                if (!www_authenticate("$td", "subscriber")) {
                        xlog("L_ALERT","AUTHENTICATE: $rm from $fu to $tu (IP:
$si:$sp)\n");
                        www_challenge("$td", "1");
                        exit;
                }