[SR-Users] Regd. Kamailio GPL

Vicente Hernando vhernando at systemonenoc.com
Fri Mar 13 10:41:33 CET 2015

On 03/13/2015 10:19 AM, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:

> On 12/03/15 16:01, Vicente Hernando wrote:

>>> Modules have to be written in a GPLv2 compatible license, because GPLv2
>>> is 'viral' when linking the code, given that a module is using functions
>>> from core. If you do communication via socket/etc. with a different
>>> application, that application doesn't have to be GPLv2 compatible.
>> I recommend you to ask to FSF.
>>
>> It is possible even when communicating via sockets to need to release
>> your code under GPL.
>>
>> In my point of view the difference is if your program works OK as a
>> standalone application or if it needs the other
>> GPLed application to work. That works to defeat some ways to cheat GPL
>> philosophy.
> By far not a lawyer, but as long as the communication is done via
> socket, it means the application runs alone, not requiring the other
> application to run at all. You can compare this situation like browser -
> web server communication, the relation between them is socket
> communication, but doesn't enforce that browser has to be gpl because
> the server is gpl.
IANAL either.

You are right in the web server - browser case, but it depends on the
coupling of the two applications.

E.g: you could not create a socket interface for Kamailio to plug new
propietary modules and distribute them under closed licenses
or  create a proprietary app that configures via socket a GPL
application and without that the GPL application be unable to run.

Regards,
Vicente.