[SR-Users] A question to you, SIP providers: what is your policy on PBXes calling themselves

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 19:30:58 CEST 2015

Hello,

On 07/06/15 05:06, Antonio Gómez Soto wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is question on PBX behavior, what is the right thing to do, and
> how do PBX's generally behave.
>
> If a user on a phone, dials a number, which happens to be configured
> on the same phone system (for example another tenant), there are two
>
>  1. The PBX notices this, and directly connects the phone to the DID
>     on that system (breaking separation of tenants)
>  2. The PBX sends the call out on the SIP trunk, and the
>     provider-routing sends the call back as an incoming call.
>
> What are the pros and cons of each option from the SIP provider point
> of view?
> How do PBX's generally behave?
>
> Thanks,
> Antonio
>
> PS: I reposted, because the original question was apparently not
> phrased in a clear way.
I guess the proper answer is: this is an option of the dialplan of the pbx.

But based on experience so far, the pbx doesn't sent the call out to a
provider when the call is to another extension in the same pbx. More, in
many cases there is not 1-to-1 relation between pbx extensions and PSTN
numbers. Typically a pbx has more extensions than PSTN numbers. PBX
extensions are short numbers allocated as needed, while PSTN numbers are
bought based on estimation of use, being mappend to some internal pbx
extensions.

Daniel-Constantin Mierla