[SR-Users] sending INVTE with Digest values

Vasiliy Ganchev vasiliy.ganchev at wildix.com
Fri Jul 24 08:22:40 CEST 2015

Al S wrote
> I am registering my client to kamailo successfully.
> client --> Register --> kamailioclient <-- 401 with nonce value <--
> kamailioclient --> Register with nonce and md5 response values -->
> kamailioclient <-- 200ok <-- kamailio
> However, when the client sends an invite with the same digest values,
> kamailio sends a 407 request for another challenge:
> client --> Invite with the same nonce and md5 response values -->
> kamailioclient <-- 407 <-- kamailio
> I am thinking the same digest values from register could be used for
> making calls.
> Thanks,Al

Hi!
Kamailio behave according to RFC in this point.
Without this, if, you use e.g. UDP as a transport, the sip exchange can be
eavesdropped, and man-in-a-middle get nonce from response and use it for
INVITE - as a result get unauthorised access.

This is why Kamailio ask new authorisation in 407 (with new nonce)
Cheers