[SR-Users] Kamailio & Asterisk SIP Registration Forwarding - Asterisk replies 401 Unauthorized

Alberto Sagredo alberto.sagredo at avanzada7.com
Thu Jul 16 20:48:26 CEST 2015

Maybe you got to get some traces with sip set debug on on asterisk or ngrep
in kamailio to check whereis the problem.

I think you are not authenticating correctly

Check if you insert on sipusers and sipppers table what is commented on KB
by asipto.

Maybe your Kamailio is not responding to OPTIONS (qualify=yes)

add at the beginning of your kamailio.cfg file
request_route {

    if(is_method("OPTIONS") ) {

                sl_send_reply("200","Keepalive");

                exit;

        }

To solve qualify problem

BR

> [...]
> Yet I can still make a call. So maybe Asterisk is not authenticating
> INVITES (whether or not it's registered) and that's why I can call.
>
> Any further help or things I should try?
>
> Benjamin Fitzgerald
> LETS Corporation
> (925) 235-1154
> ben at letscorp.us
>

> *******Confidential Notice:
> This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to
> which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged,
> confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader
> any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is
> strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
> immediately by return e-mail and/or telephone at (925) 566-5600
>
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 3:40 AM, Alberto Sagredo <
> alberto.sagredo at avanzada7.com> wrote:
>
>> You could remove secret= on extensiones to check if its related to
>> authentication or not
>>
>> You must not request authentication to kamailio in order to work properly
>> in front of Asterisk
>>
>> As Daniel mention check if Kamailio peer is created and extensiones have
>> no secret.. you would need to add alternate sippasswd table for kamailio
>> authentication
>>
>> BR

>>> Hi, I've been following this integration tutorial
>>> http://kb.asipto.com/asterisk:realtime:kamailio-4.0.x-asterisk-11.3.0-astdb
>>> and have a successful registration and I can even make calls through my
>>> asterisk box.
>>>
>>> However what is unusual to me is that every time a phone registers with
>>> Kamailio, that is forwarded to Asterisk (as expected), yet Asterisk replies
>>> with 401 Unauthorized. Oddly enough the phone registers and can still make
>>> calls. What worries me is that as we scale to 100's of cps, this seemingly
>>> erroneous message may slow down Asterisk because it's trying to handle
>>> authentication for users which have already been authenticated by Kamailio.
>>> If this behavior is expected, then that would be good to know as well.
>>>
>>> This is the sip debug from ASTERISK (I have replaced IP's with the names
>>> of the servers):
>>>

>>> <--- SIP read from TCP:kamailio:41205 --->
>>> REGISTER sip:asteriskIP:5060;transport=tcp SIP/2.0
>>> Via: SIP/2.0/TCP
>>> kamailio;branch=z9hG4bK998f.2846e405000000000000000000000000.0
>>> To: <sip:40081 at asteriskIP>
>>> From: <sip:40081 at asteriskIP>;tag=32fda68bf54efeeb04e3edc67b53c63d-cfb0
>>> CSeq: 10 REGISTER
>>> Call-ID: 0005ce130bcee5c4-26538 at kamailio
>>> Max-Forwards: 70
>>> Contact: <sip:40081 at kamailio:5060>
>>> Expires: 3600
>>>
>>> <------------->
>>> --- (11 headers 0 lines) ---
>>> Sending to kamailio:5060 (no NAT)
>>> Sending to kamailio:5060 (no NAT)
>>>
>>> <--- Transmitting (no NAT) to kamailio:5060 --->
>>> Via:
>>> SIP/2.0/TCP kamailio;branch=z9hG4bK998f.2846e405000000000000000000000000.0;received=
>>> kamailio
>>> From: <sip:40081 at asteriskIP>;tag=32fda68bf54efeeb04e3edc67b53c63d-cfb0
>>> To: <sip:40081 at asteriskIP>;tag=as404bac9a
>>> Call-ID: 0005ce130bcee5c4-26538@ kamailio
>>> CSeq: 10 REGISTER
>>> Server: Asterisk PBX 11.6-cert2
>>> Allow: INVITE, ACK, CANCEL, OPTIONS, BYE, REFER, SUBSCRIBE, NOTIFY,
>>> INFO, PUBLISH
>>> Supported: replaces, timer
>>> WWW-Authenticate: Digest algorithm=MD5, realm="asterisk",
>>> nonce="262b338e"
>>>

>>> <------------>
>>> Scheduling destruction of SIP dialog '0005ce130bcee5c4-26538@ kamailio'
>>> in 32000 ms (Method: REGISTER)