[SR-Users] Best practices for unsetting PVs

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Feb 23 23:19:07 CET 2015

Hi,

We have this approach for arrayable PVs (e.g. AVPs, XAVPs):

    $(avp(var)[*]) = $null;

This defines the PV, but sets its value to null. I haven't tested, but I
would assume, in the case of an AVP, that this would cause it to fail

    defined $avp(var)
    is_avp_set("$avp(var)")

But, I see there is also in the 'pv' module now a function pv_unset(), i.e.

    pv_unset("$avp(var)");
    pv_unset("$var(foo)");

I assume this actually deletes the variable itself from the namespace,
instead of assigning it an undefined value.

Are there pros and cons to using one or the other to mass-reset
variables relevant to call processing at the beginning of route script?

Thanks,

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems LLC