[SR-Users] State-full failover Kamailio+RTPProxy

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 09:27:33 CET 2015

Hello,

accounting using acc module just work fine if both servers write to same
database, there is nothing to sync in states between active and standby
server.

For rtpproxy, afaik, there is no hot HA system offered by the
application. For rtpengine, there were some patches circulating around
here (iirc, sent by Carsten Bock) to use a redis server for
active-standby sync. Also, because each call uses at least 4 ports, be
sure that the standby stays clean of other apps that can use ports which
can be used by the active server.

On the other hand, rtpproxy is rather basic UDP forwarder, unlikely to
crash. If you use rtpproxy on another system than kamailio, then you are
achieving the availability required by most of the services out there.
You should just use many rtpproxy at once, kamailio is able to work with
all of them (actually, this is recommended if you want to use properly
the CPU cores, because rtpproxy is single process application). If you
want to put the rtpproxy server in maintenance, use another host with
rtpproxy, reconfigure kamailio to use them and let the old ones running
for a while so existing calls keep going fine.

Over the time, I got to the conclusion that replicating a lot of states
during normal operations adds more overhead and problems than finding
specif solutions for particular very rare cases. Have in mind that rtp
stream means a lot of small packets, it is better to keep the handling
of them as simple as possible not to affect the QoS.

On 15/12/15 19:02, Frank Costeira wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would prefer to maintain the dialog and rtp session, however push
> come to shove maintaining the RTP session would be sufficient.
>
> Is it possible to do state-full failover of both the dialog and rtp or
> just rtp?
>
> Any recommendations on documentation or how-to to read that would
> point me in the right direction?
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards
>
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 9:47 AM, Alex Balashov
> <abalashov at evaristesys.com <mailto:abalashov at evaristesys.com>> wrote:
>
>     Well, that depends. Is your objective really RTP failover, or also
>     failover of dialog state (e.g. for some accounting purpose)?
>>     --
>     Alex Balashov | Principal | Evariste Systems LLC
>     303 Perimeter Center North, Suite 300
>     Atlanta, GA 30346
>     United States
>
>     Tel: +1-800-250-5920
>     <tel:%2B1-800-250-5920> (toll-free) / +1-678-954-0671
>     <tel:%2B1-678-954-0671> (direct)
>     Web: http://www.evaristesys.com/, http://www.csrpswitch.com/
>
>     Sent from my BlackBerry.

Daniel-Constantin Mierla