[SR-Users] [sr-dev] Confusion about various TCP expiry and lifetime parameters

M S shaheryarkh at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 05:12:40 CEST 2015

Hi,

We are using global tcp_connection_lifetime parameter. I haven't looked at
tcpops module yet but will look at it to see if it helps.

Almost all the testing is done remotely by QA team (they can view kamailio
logs in syslog but nothing more then that). They simply take tcpdump and/or
watch websockets frames in chrome debug console. When connection is closed,
kamailio sends websocket close frame. The kamailio logs does not display
any reason why connection is being closed.

To check if connection is still active or not, we just publish sip presence
(by changing logged-in user's status e.g. from available to busy and so
on). Just to note kamailio can't open new connection as websocket client is
behind NAT and using tls over websocket i.e. WSS. Also if there is any new
connection opened by kamailio to web client then it would be logged and
visible in JS console.

Per our observation disconnection always initiated by kamailio, the
disconnect WS frame is visible in JS console. We have been doing black-box
testing so far, but we can try white-box testing to dig deeper.

The problem mainly is that tcp_connection_lifetime never closes the
connection when we expect it to do. If we set it to 610 seconds (sip
register expiry is 600) it closes between 8-10 minutes i.e. BEFORE we are
expecting it to close. If we set it to 70 seconds (keeping sip register
expiry at 600), it does NOT closes even after 120 seconds.

Additional problem is usrloc module parameter close_expired_tcp, only
enabling it allows global tcp_connection_lifetime to close a tcp
connection, otherwise connection never closes (we tested up to 30 minutes).

So far our prime suspect of this behavior is keepalive packets at tcp
layer, however we don't have any check or control over it in chrome. But we
expect if tcp keepalives are causing this then connection should be closed
by chrome instead of kamailio (the WS close frame should be sent by chrome
instead of kamailio).

Anyways, i will do some low level debugging and see if i can find more info
about it.

Thank you.

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 9:28 AM, Daniel-Constantin Mierla <miconda at gmail.com