[SR-Users] LCR with gateway capabilities

Vitaliy Aleksandrov vitalik.voip at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 14:14:28 CEST 2015

> The Tag column size is 64. If I make this larger in the database, will
> it be truncated once it is loaded into memory?

According to modules source code Tag's max size is hardcoded and will be
truncated. But this is not a bit problem. You can keep capabilities list
in htable and only put a key for this htable info to the tag.

> Through which list do I need to iterate? You mentioned the data is
> stored in a hash table, what is the name of this hash table?

load_gws() creates a list of gateways and next_gw() fetches them one by one.
After calling load_gws() you can just call next_gw() which puts gateways
tag to the "tag_avp". If current gateway doesn't have requested
capabilities just call next_gw() again.

> Basically for each call I need to call the load_gws() function, which
> is O(N) * O(M).
>
> What if I take a different approach and call a stored procedure (for
> each call) which does the selection of a gateway based on the supplied
> criteria.
>
> Of course the tables would be optimized with indices for the best
> possible performance.
>
> When comparing load_gws() (O(N) * O(M)) with the stored procedure
> approach, would there be a huge performance loss when taking the
> stored procedure approach?

Who knows.. You can test it and share results with community :)

> I know this approach brings a whole new set of problem with
> availability and the loss of features, but for now I’m only interested
> in the performance aspect of both methods.

Actually going this way you don't need LCR module at all. You can call
stored procedure, lua/python/perl/... script, or request an external
system using radius/xmlrpc. But be careful making blocking operations
from a script or have enough number of kamailio processes.