[SR-Users] Kamailio - Separated Servers

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 17:32:18 CEST 2014

Hello,

On 18/09/14 17:12, Bruno Emer wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am relatively new to Kamailio and I'm trying to create a new
> enviroment using it in my company. I am thinking about use Amazon to
> host the servers and use OpsWorks to automatically escalate then if
> necessary. To accomplish this, my idea is to separate the servers,
> using one dedicated server to run as WebSocket, one to run as proxy
> and one as a Registrar. I'll be using just one database to store
> informations to all of my servers. With this, if I need more resources
> later, I can just create new servers with the specific roles
> (WebSockets, Proxy, Registrar).
you must have in mind that you need to route between these servers as
well or share the data between them. However, sometime sharing registrar
data is not going to work if you have devices behind symmetric nat. In
the same situation, the proxy has to stay behind the registrar, so it
might be better not to split them, but keep one instance. Or, add an
edge proxy in front of registrar and proxy. That is because of very
restrictive rules with symmetric nat, where the node on public internet
can communicate with the node behind nat only if it has received a
packet from it.

> By now, the idea is clear, but the point is that I don't know how to
> separate the WebSockets server from the proxy server. Actually, I can
> do this, but when I have one agent using a regular softphone and one
> agent using WebSockets (with JSSIP) they are not able to establish a
> session if the softphone user starts it.
This seems to be a problem in your config, this case should be easy to
handle.

A bit more complex will be when the calls comes from webrtc and you
don't know if it is going to return back to webrtc. See the recent
discussion on this mailing list with the subject "NO_DTLS_FINGERPRINT
when calling from webrtc to webrtc client".

> Now, I want to know if is there a way to use two websockets servers,
> register users using both of then and start sessions between then,
> with a separated proxy and registrar.
>
> Has anyone done this before? Is possible to use kamailio like this?
>

> Thanks.
>
> Bruno Emer

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
Next Kamailio Advanced Trainings 2014 - http://www.asipto.com