[SR-Users] How do I configure this thing?

Nolan Darilek nolan at thewordnerd.info
Fri Oct 24 18:53:48 CEST 2014

OK, sorry for the basic question, but I'm overwhelmed.

My install gives me a kamailio-basic.cfg, kamailio.cfg and
kamailio-oob.cfg. Is there any explanation as to the difference between
these? I assume "basic" is a simpler config, but I don't know what it
lacks vs. kamailio.cfg, and I have no idea what "oob" means ("out-of-band?")

The configs reference a kamailio-local.cfg. My assumption was that I
could place config changes here, but I see later that kamailio.cfg
changes some parameters. In particular, I set various auth_db parameters
in kamailio-local.cfg which kamailio.cfg changes later. So I don't
understand when I might want to use kamailio-local.

The config files refer me to a cookbook, but unless I'm missing
something, the cookbook is a long list of config directives. When I read
"cookbook" I assume I'm being directed to something containing recipes
like "how to enable web sockets," with step-by-step guides about which
config files to edit and what to add. Am I just missing that?

Is there a task-oriented getting started page that I'm missing, that
would help me set up a web socket-based SIP server? Then, when I hit the
inevitable issues, I can resolve specific problems rather than trying to
figure this all out from scratch? I see the documentation attached to
the web sockets module, but many of these docs include stand-alone
config snippets with no indication as to how to integrate them into a
larger config. For instance, the ephemeral auth module tells me how to
set up an ephemeral auth route but doesn't give me enough context to
place the snippet correctly in the 900+-line kamailio.cfg, and actually
I suspect it wouldn't work anyway since I see nothing about HTTP in the
kamailio.cfg.

Sorry if I seem frustrated. I'm willing to learn, I've just been handed
a jet engine and a few suggested tweaks, but not enough context to know
how to make them. :) I'll be learning more about SIP and what role a SIP
router plays, but it'd be helpful to be able to bootstrap a server so I
can learn by doing as well. I'd just like to provide audio/video
communication for a single SIP domain, authenticating against MongoDB
and with ephemeral auth so Javascript clients can get temporary
credentials. I don't want voicemail, outbound routing, etc. This seems
like it should be simple to achieve, but I don't know how or where to
start in a way that would allow me to build up.

Thanks.