[SR-Users] Kamailio Infront of Asterisk with remote PBX

Fred Posner fred at palner.com
Thu Oct 23 16:59:47 CEST 2014

Hi Kenny,

This depends on the carriers and scenarios that you may use. I know
"depends" is a horrible answer, but one of the great aspects of Kamailio
is the flexibility of the modules.

Some deployments may have a group of Asterisk servers all configured
similarly for handling calls. With this type of scenario, you would
benefit from using the dispatcher module.

Many people like to use Kamailio on the public side of their network and
keep their asterisk servers on the private. This would be an example of
when to use rtpproxy (in bridge mode).

Some carriers hate seeing the chain of systems on your network (ie the
asterisk boxes). Sometimes the use of TOPOH helps to integrate with the
carriers who have chosen their own "interpretations" of RFC for "security."

And there's more...

The bottom line, is that the devil is in the details.

Fred Posner
The Palner Group, Inc.
http://www.palner.com (web)
+1-503-914-0999 (direct)