[SR-Users] code review tools

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Tue May 20 09:35:36 CEST 2014

Hello,

some time ago it was proposed to use a code review tool to analyze
patches, the topic was also discussed during the last IRC devel meeting.
I cc-ed users mailing list, because people there might have experiences
with some of them.

I found on wikipedia a short list of available applications for this
purpose:

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tools_for_code_review

Personally I haven't used any so far. Iirc, gerrit was proposed before
by Victor Seva. From the wikipedia list, Differential would be
straightforward to deploy from dependencies point of view, as we have
php on our servers. But I have no clue which is the right/best to use,
so here we have to decide if worth to use one and which one.

Besides the above one, perhaps github has an integrated review tool. I
can be considered as an alternative as well.

My opinion is that such tool is useful, specially for big patches, to
allow easier more people to have a look at them.

Hoping to get feedback on benefits of such tools and which would be the
right/best to use.