[SR-Users] Replacing an ACME Packet Net-Net SBC

Melanie Pietersen melanie.pietersen.ml at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 17:33:47 CET 2014

On 2/27/14 10:29 AM, Luis Silva wrote:
> Don't understand how is it possible to compare Kamailio with the Acme Packet SBC. Just to give an example, the DoS mechanism available on the AP SBC can't be
>  compared with any other solution available on the market. You will also have HMRs, SIP Routing options out-of-the-box (like time of the day routing, sip
> method based, cost based, traffic classification based, lb, trunk group, enum,lrt, multistage, route header based, redirect, etc etc) and infinite number of
> features that you will for sure miss if you plan on making that replacement.

Hi Luis,

the acme product seems actually underperforming compared to Wladimir's SBC demo and measured by the technical capabilities I am interested in.

What continues to confuse me is the apparent mixture of technical and marketing terms. The infinite number is respectably long but it includes  many features I
will not need like H.323 or appear to be marketing. For example it appears that ABC demo can route by any SIP message element, which is clearly superior and
necessary, especially in a deployment with proprietary header fields. Even if it does not make such a long element-by-element feature list :). Similarly it
includes several types of traffic shaping, which seems little different from the DoS protection offered by former Acme. Acme's multistage lookup you mentioned
seems to be just a fix to quite imperfect design which didn't anticipate cascaded routing logic. I mean I am a little bit careful about assessing technological
supremacy based on marketing material.

Is there possibly some truly technical-based comparison? I tried to look it up in the archive but did not find some.

Melanie