[SR-Users] Handling RFC3578 (Overlap Dialing) in Kamailio/ Asynchronious transaction handling

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Feb 4 15:47:38 CET 2014

On 04 Feb 2014, at 15:43, Moritz Graf <moritz.graf at g-fit.de> wrote:

> Shortly explained what RFC3578 is: In a open numbering plan you never
> know if the INVITE you received is already complete, or if there are
> more numbers coming in. One way of accomplishing this is to set up a
> timer. If the timer elapses you assume the number is complete. If not,
> you are receiving a new INVITE with one digit more. Now you have to
> close the old transaction with a "484 - Address Incomplete"-response and
> start the timer again. (Find the algorithm I want to implement attached)
You are not allowed to have two open INVITEs, the second one SHOULD get
a 491 response. The client should not send a new INVITE if the old INVITE
transaction is not complete.

I don't think overlap dialing in SIP was ever meant to be timer based. Consider
that the first INVITE can go to a different proxy than the second. There's no
dialog, no route set.

/O