[SR-Users] Kamailio Active / Active HA.

Ben Langfeld ben at langfeld.co.uk
Mon Dec 29 12:13:34 CET 2014

On 27 December 2014 at 23:44, Carsten Bock <carsten at ng-voice.com> wrote:

> Hi Mahmoud,
>
> Thy typical way, to build a Active/Active setup is by using DNS-SRV
> records. The two servers get different IPs and you announce both IPs
> using DNS to the devices. Most common User-Agents support this
> nowadays, so that's kind of easy. It is specified in RFC3263:
> "Locating SIP-Servers" (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3263).
>
> However, when using DNS-SRV records, dialogs and transactions are
> still associated with a single server, even though the User-Agent has
> an Alternative, in case one server fails. If you want to increase the
> HA for this, you can advertise the Domain name instead of an IP
> (causes more DNS-Lookups).

Just a word of caution here, there are several SIP stacks which don't
handle SRV lookups correctly. I don't mean to discourage you from this, but
just to be aware of it. For example, Mobicents only understands SRV record
sets which return domain names. If you return IPs, Mobicents will go ahead
and look them up as A records and fail.