[SR-Users] kamailio for newbies!

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Dec 1 15:37:36 CET 2014

On 01 Dec 2014, at 15:20, Massimo Varriale (IPZeta) <m.varriale at ipzeta.it> wrote:

> As I'm a new Kamailio user I agree that Kamailio could be difficult at the beginning, but I totally do not agree to the fact that reading documentation is a waste of time!
>
> What I found online is that it's true that there are so many tutorials out there, but sometimes I found that they refer to old version of OpenSER and sometimes syntax is little different, but as everything in the IT world there is nothing anyone will install/configure and it will work out of the box, at least you have to study the architecture and learn how the software will going to act. Maybe that the software works out of the box will use a standard behaviour, and no special needs.. You talked about Asterisk, but for me it's so easy to install a FreePBX, open the webpage, make some basic configuration and that's it..
> In my past experience in IT I can say that I really hate the "5 minutes man" that suppose everything is up and running in 5 minutes, everything is so easy that any monkey could do that..
Thank you for your feedback. I have been working hard trying to make the documentation files we do have easier to read and understand.

> BTW, I would love to see some updated real world tutorials on Kamailio as in my case it's 15 days I'm fighting with no success with Carrier Route module and I'm not able to send outbound calls....in my case, if I was on Freeswitch those calls were already sent out..but this is another story.

The carrier route module is a very large module that includes a lot of business logic. It's complex. Is it really the one you need or could you try another module that implements least cost routing? We do have several.

/O