[SR-Users] [sr-dev] new module: gzcompress

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Mon Sep 23 19:42:15 CEST 2013

DM> Also, I changed the default value of Content-Encoding header value
DM> from gzip (which I saw in rfc 3261) to deflate, which is used by
DM> FaceTime, but more important works with Firefox out of the box. Thus I
DM> assumed is the right value and should make the encoding compatible
DM> with Facetime (not that they do peering/federation over sip, but
DM> anyhow).

The gzip encoding tag means that the body is what one would get out of
running gzip(1) on the original data.  Ie, it includes the gzip(1)
headers, et alia, as specified in http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1952.txt.

The deflate tag specifies that the data is DEFLATEd, but does not
include the extra gzip(1)-specific data.

The gzip scheme is meant for the case where the files are pre-compressed
external to the server, so that the server can send the files as is.

The deflate scheme is meant for cases like this where the data is
compressed on the fly.

So the change was the correct option.

-JimC