[SR-Users] Kamailio network edge for registration and rtp pass-through

Jr Richardson jmr.richardson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 23:43:35 CEST 2013

Hi All,

Starting a new project, roll your own SBC, not a full SBC, just need some
minor functionality.  I'm interested in deploying Kamailio as a edge device
on a VSP for single entry point for hosted PBX's, Asterisk based.  I had
some wonderful and informative conversations at Astricon 2013, several
folks assuring me Kamailio w/rtpproxy was the tool for the job, so this is
a follow up to delve more into details.

I've been researching configs, topology, modules needed, ect...  Most of
the examples I'm reading about for this scenario are spreading the
registrations across many PBX's without distinction.  One concept I'm
struggling with is having a specific phone register to a specific PBX.

phone-customer-A-x101><internet><kamailio><PBX-customer-A-x101
phone-customer-B-x101><internet><kamailio><PBX-customer-B-x101
phone-customer-C-x101><internet><kamailio><PBX-customer-B-x101

I could add a unique identifier to some part of the registration of each
phone like 'custA-101 at kamailio_server', custB-101 at kamailio_server, ect.
What I'm not clear on is when the request comes to kamailio, where would I
identify what PBX the phone should register to and how to re-write the
'custA-101 at kamailio_server' to '101 at custA-pbx' and forward to the correct
PBX and ensure rtp flows through kamailio.

Could this function be derived using dbaliases or possibly using dispatcher
with group number for each customer PBX?

So assuming I can get the registrations to work properly, would standard
invite for calling just work or would I also have to have specific config
in place to ensure an invite from customer A phone also reaches the correct
customer A PBX?

A point in the right direction?

Thanks.

JR