[SR-Users] Memory leak in 3.3.4

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 15:23:35 CEST 2013

Hi David,

On 10/10/13 11:36 PM, David Cunningham wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> Thanks for the reply. Perhaps what we're seeing is normal, and the
> memory use is meant to increase as time progresses. Would you expect
> to see an ongoing memory use increase, or when should it stop increasing?

private memory (pkg) should stay rather constant. It increases when
there is a sip message processed, but once is sent out, it should come
back around the average.

There are couple of functions that can fill the private memory and keep
it up, such as doing an sql_query() that returns a big data and the
result is not freed (sql_result_free()). It is not actually a leak as
the next sql_query() will free previous result, but in case you have
such query for some corner case that is not executed frequently, then
the memory can stay filled in. Another example will be storing very
large value in a $var(...) (e.g., $var(x) ).

This is private memory, per process, which is meant for temporary
operations. Shared memory (shm) can increase over the time, being the
place where the dynamic data required at runtime is stored (e.g.,
location records, hash tables, transactions) - so as you get more
traffic or more phones using kamailio, more shm is used. But your
problem was reported for pkg.

Anyhow, keep an eye on the pkg.stats and if you see constant increase
which is substantial, then get a mem log dump.

Kamailio Advanced Trainings - Berlin, Nov 25-28; Miami, Nov 18-20, 2013
   - more details about Kamailio trainings at http://www.asipto.com -