[SR-Users] rtpproxy virtual or physical machine

Grant Bagdasarian GB at cm.nl
Wed May 1 14:46:25 CEST 2013

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: sr-users-bounces at lists.sip-router.org [mailto:sr-users-bounces at lists.sip-router.org] On Behalf Of Alex Balashov
Sent: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 1:55 PM
To: sr-users at lists.sip-router.org
Subject: Re: [SR-Users] rtpproxy virtual or physical machine

On 05/01/2013 07:44 AM, Grant Bagdasarian wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I understand that machines processing RTP are recommended to be
> physical machines. Does the same apply for machines just proxy'ing RTP?
>
> Also, after how many RTP session would you start noticing issues with
> RTP when using rtpproxy on a virtual VMware machine?

There is no firm answer to that, but there seems to be widespread consensus that something like 'rtpproxy', especially being a user space process, benefits from access to native hardware, versus the jittery and unreliable intermediated I/O scheduling and contention inside a VM environment.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems LLC