[SR-Users] Message Waiting

Daniel W. Graham dan at cmsinter.net
Tue Mar 12 20:32:20 CET 2013

While I have seen other posts I have not found anything that describes my scenario.

Kamailio sets in front of a group of asterisk servers which are used in a round robin dispatch group. All asterisk servers share a common database in which voicemail boxes are defined and messages are stored.

I'm looking for a way to make message waiting work in this example. I have tried creating a view with basic peer information for asterisk to use for message notification, however asterisk does not 'see' these peers until a call is made to the specific user and the peer info is retrieved from the database, which can delay notifications severely rendering them useless. I also want to avoid sending a copy of the registrations to asterisk servers, as the purpose of the distributed system is to eliminate the large number of sip registrations asterisk needs to manage.

I have also seen a couple of script methods that look at the voicemail directory structure for file changes and trigger an application like sipsak to generate the notifications and let kamailio relay them. From what I see, the consensus is not to go this route. In my case the script would need to look at the database level, and maybe some sort of database trigger could be used.

What are others doing / what do others recommend as the best way to handle message waiting with a situation where kamailio sets in front of a voicemail server?

Any input is appreciated.
Dan-