[SR-Users] MSRP communication through Kamailio

Peter Dunkley peter.dunkley at crocodilertc.net
Mon Jul 29 13:04:55 CEST 2013

There are two standards based options for MSRP.  Peer-to-peer between
clients (RFC 4975) with no servers involved and traffic between clients
relayed through a server (RFC 4976). RFC 4976 is used for NAT traversal and
policy (security/logging/etc) enforcement.  The relay option requires the
MSRP client to support additional MSRP request types, procedures, and SDP
elements - essentially use of a relay requires the client to support this
and be configured for it.

There is a third option which is not standards based, that is B2BUA'ing
MSRP where a server pretends to be a pair of clients back-to-back. This is
what a lot of SBCs do.

As a server that is not a B2BUA Kamailio supports MSRP relay as per RFC
4976.  However, your MSRP client needs to support RFC 4976 (and be
correctly configured) to make use of the relay.

Regards,

Peter

On 29 July 2013 11:20, Rajkumar Kanniappan
<rajkumar.kanniappan at sasken.com>wrote:

>  Hi,****
>
> ** **
>
> Is it possible to make MSRP to pass through kamailio instead of peer to
> peer?****
>
> ** **
>
> For me, my sip client registers with kamailio without any problem and able
> to chat with other sip client as well. ****
>
> But the chat communication using MSRP is always peer to peer, because of
> the SDP negotiation. But I need make the msrp messages to pass through the
> kamailio server.****
>
> Please help me in configuring the kamailio.****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks****
>
> ------------------------------
> SASKEN BUSINESS DISCLAIMER: This message may contain confidential,
> proprietary or legally privileged information. In case you are not the
> original intended Recipient of the message, you must not, directly or
> indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this
> message and you are requested to delete it and inform the sender. Any views
> expressed in this message are those of the individual sender unless
> otherwise stated. Nothing contained in this message shall be construed as
> an offer or acceptance of any offer by Sasken Communication Technologies
> Limited ("Sasken") unless sent with that express intent and with due
> authority of Sasken. Sasken has taken enough precautions to prevent the
> spread of viruses. However the company accepts no liability for any damage
> Read Disclaimer at http://www.sasken.com/extras/mail_disclaimer.html

Peter Dunkley
Technical Director
Crocodile RCS Ltd