[SR-Users] question about rtpproxy "r" flag

Richard Fuchs rfuchs at sipwise.com
Fri Jul 12 14:32:59 CEST 2013

On 07/12/13 05:48, Juha Heinanen wrote:

> it is not what the above description tells.  it just tells where
> rtpproxy takes the address, nothing about when it starts to send
> packets.  proper use of rtpproxy or mediaproxy-ng is difficult until
> this has been clarified.  waiting for both parties to send something
> first, would not work if the other party is muted.

In case of mediaproxy-ng, it doesn't wait. If it hasn't received
anything from the other endpoint yet, then it will use whatever address
it was given (either from the SDP or the SIP source address). Once it
has received a packet from the other endpoint, it will use this source
address. That's about as good as it gets without ICE.

> it would result in double rewrite of the sdp when one motivation of
> using mediaproxy-ng is that it does the rewriting only once.  there
> should be possibility pass sdp ip address as parameter in offer and
> answer calls.

This is possible through the second parameter to
rtpproxy_offer/answer/manage(). Mediaproxy-ng doesn't support this yet
(we have no use for it, auto-discovery works well enough), but it's next
up on my todo list for compatibility's sake.

cheers