[SR-Users] RTP proxy high CPU utilization...

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 12:37:04 CEST 2013

Hello,

On 7/8/13 5:49 PM, arun Jayaprakash wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have set up my Asterisk server with Kamailio where Kamailio handles
> the user authentication as per
> http://kb.asipto.com/asterisk:realtime:kamailio-3.1.x-asterisk-1.6.2-astdb.
> It is working well, I am able to make calls, two way sound, etc. The
> problem I am facing is that after making a couple of calls the CPU
> utilization spikes to 100% and I see that RTPproxy is what is
> consuming this resource. Even after the call is completed it looks
> like RTPproxy is still active and the CPU usage stays at 100%, once I
> kill the rtp process the memory usage is back to normal. Can someone
> let me know how to correct this issue? Thank you.
is rtpproxy running on a virtual machine? Sometimes those get in trouble
when they have to share a network interface that has lot of traffic,
specially with lots of small packets. The typical way of troubleshooting
is to attach with gdb and see what is processing. So far rtpproxy was
working fine on my deployments, what version are you using?

On the other hand, if you have asterisk on a public ip, you can avoid
using rtpproxy, just activate comedia for asterisk (iirc, nathelper
exports the function that adds the appropriate a= line in sdp).