[SR-Users] Need help understanding/separating signaling from media

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Jan 28 18:18:25 CET 2013

It is indeed not generally recommended, due to the extremely real-time, delay-sensitive nature of media and the way VMs can subject a user space process like rtpproxy to distorted I/O scheduling and timing.

However, this seems to be less of a problem as virtualisation evolves closer and closer "to the metal", and in any case is unlikely to be an issue for relatively small numbers of concurrent calls, on a non-oversubscribed hypervisor.

Still, it is not recommended from a "best practical" point of view, definitely not.