[SR-Users] Web softphone using websockets against Kamailio

Pirjo Ahvenainen pirjo.ahvenainen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 09:57:36 CET 2013

Greetings gurus!

I'm playing with an idea to create a web based softphone (html5 + no
installations for the end user) and use Kamailio's websocket module
for backend. I'd love to hear about your comments, challenges and
successes using such configuration. Is it a feasible way to construct
a softphone even today when even IE9 does not support websockets, as
such? I'm sure IE9 will end up in specs as a must-support platform.

A collegue tried using sipml5 with webrtc against a SnomONE pbx (I
know... ;)), and said there's no way it can work, but I'm not
convinced the idea itself wouldn't work.

It would help me lots if I could make a simple example using Kamailio
with SIP over websockets, can you comment on how much effort do I need
on Kamailio side to make this work? Do I need off-default config
scripting, or is it enough to just set up the module and set the
parameters? And even with the risk of stepping a little off topic, if
anyone has worked on web based softphones, I'd love to hear if you can
recommend on how to approach this.

Cheers,
Pirjo