[SR-Users] [sr-dev] Testing SIP Outbound / RFC5626 (Was: Freezing for next major release)

Richard Brady rnbrady at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 13:33:37 CET 2013

> Also can a flow fail temporarily?
>
> For example a broadband router with a NAT timeout of 60 seconds and a UA
> with a keep-alive interval of 120s. Would the flow succeed for the first 60
> seconds after each keep-alive and then fail for 60 seconds until the next
> keepalive?
>
> Yes. That's a misconfigured ua, isn't it...

Don't think so. It is not easy or common for UAs to discover the NAT
timeout. They must make assumptions about what is a reasonable lower bound,
unless you are mad enough to expect the user to configure this. On mobile /
battery-powered devices it is often not an option to configure a keep-alive
interval that low.

But if you want a different example then take an unreliable network
connection. My question was more about whether the EP would generate a 430
or a 408/503/504 in this kind of potentially temporary failure case.

The UA will have to make sure to manage connections properly so at least
> one of the two are always open and working...

Yes AND the proxy has to manage those flows properly so both of the two are
always tired when necessary and preferably not after a 32 second timeout
trying a flow which it should already know has failed.

Keep in mind the the flows are tried serially, not in parallel.

> Outbound is all about pushing responsiblity for the flows to the UA.

Responsibility for initiating them yes. But there is a whole lot for the
server to do and that is what we're trying to get to the bottom of.

> Well, Outbound is very focused on TCP. It's alive or dead. It doesn't
> behave like UDP.

So if the network flaps for 60 seconds is a TCP connection dead or alive?

Richard