[SR-Users] authentication for client applications

Marius Zbihlei marius.zbihlei at 1and1.ro
Thu Sep 20 09:51:17 CEST 2012

On 09/20/2012 01:12 AM, David Thomson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on a project where a custom sip client will be integrated
> into a suite of applications to provide voip.  The sip client will be
> working with Kamailio.  The goal is to ensure that the client is
> authorized for communication with kamailio before allowing any calls
> to be made.  Conventional username/password authentication for
> individual users will also be used once the client has been authenticated.

Hello,

Why not rely on TLS with client-side authentication. Just deploy the
client with a CA signed with a certificate known by  Kamailio, and then
use the tls module with the following configuration to perform the
client-certificate check:

1.9.8. |require_certificate| (boolean)

When enabled it will require a certificate from a client. If the client
does not offer a certificate and |verify_certificate| is on, the
certificate verification will fail.

The default value is off.

More information http://kamailio.org/docs/modules/devel/modules/tls.html

Cheers,
Marius

--
Zbihlei Marius

Head of
Linux Development Services Romania

1&1 Internet Development srl    Tel KA: 754-9152
Str Mircea Eliade 18            Tel RO: +40-31-223-9152
Sect 1, Bucuresti               mailto: marius.zbihlei at 1and1.ro
71295, Romania