[SR-Users] [OT] the role of SBCs

Richard Brady rnbrady at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 16:17:46 CEST 2012

A bit late to dig up this old conversation but my thoughts:

The simplest SIP relationship is from one UA to another UA without proxies.

I love proxies, I really do, they are so powerful. But putting a proxy
between UAs (or B2BUAs) places higher interoperability requirements on
them. For example take record routing. In a simple UA to UA scenario there
is no requirement for either to support record routing. But as soon as
there is a proxy in place, they need to support record routing and/or the
configuration of an outbound proxy and/or the proxy dropping out of the
dialog.

So if you are a pragmatic ITSP and you want to support many types of SIP
UAs behind many types of routers, including badly broken ones with missing
or poorly implemented features, you will benefit from putting a B2BUA right
on the edge.

It's a sorry state of affairs, but I think it's why there is some method to
the SBC madness.