[SR-Users] rtpproxy delete fails

Thu Oct 25 16:39:45 CEST 2012

On 25.10.2012 16:27, Juha Heinanen wrote:
> Klaus Darilion writes:
>
>> Is it really worth differing between nated and non-nated clients?
>
> yes, because operator of sip proxy would save in hardware costs.
>
>> In my setup I always treat every user as natted user - this makes the
>> config much more simpler. But I haven't had projects with huge user
>> bases where capacity on the rtpproxy and IP traffic was an issue.
>
> does that mean that every call is using mediaproxy?  if so, what is the
> advantage of sip proxy to, say, asterisk?

There are pro's and cons. For example in a Asterisk-based hosted PBX
setup I always terminate RTP streams on the Asterisk server (also for
legal reasons) and Kamailio is used only as border element/load
balancer. Thus, there is no need for an RTP proxy. Same applies if the
service is mostly a POTS replacement service (most calls are SIP-PSTN
calls, only a few SIP-SIP calls) then I do not care about optimization
and relay also RTP stream of SIP-SIP calls via the Asterisk server ->
thus no need for rtpproxy.

In scenarios with lots of SIP-SIP calls between the users and without
PBX features I use only Kamailio with rtpproxy but treat every user as
NATed user (pragmatic approach). And back to your question - in setups
where CPU is not a limiting factor (ie Asterisk could be used too) I use
Kamailio only as border element for filtering and header manipulation
(to deal with broken clients).

But as already said, different scenarios probably requires different
handling.

regards
Klaus