[SR-Users] dns queries on ipv6 addresses

Juha Heinanen jh at tutpro.com
Thu Oct 25 16:12:35 CEST 2012

Daniel-Constantin Mierla writes:

> The better fix looking at the patch you proposed would be to use the
> function that detects is valid ipv6, not just something starting with
> '['.

this has nothing to with what is valid ipv6, but rather, how does a
valid domain name look like.  domain name consists of labels separated
by dots and my understanding is that each label consists of letters,
decimal digits and - chars.  it makes sense to make a dns query only on
such a valid domain name.

an ipv6 address can thus never be a valid domain name.  an ipv4 address,
on the other hand, is syntactically valid domain name and perhaps
someone has populated their local name server with such names.

-- juha