[SR-Users] Supporting TLS and DTLS in RTP Proxy

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Oct 15 20:38:22 CEST 2012

15 okt 2012 kl. 13:24 skrev Peter Lemenkov <lemenkov at gmail.com>:

> Hello.
>
> 2012/10/15 Kamal Palei <palei.kamal at gmail.com>:
>> Hi All
>> I am planning to enhance RTP proxy to support TLS and DTLS.
>> We have some requirements where we need to send RTP packets either over TLS
>> or over DTLS.
>
> Shouldn't it be better to rely on SRTP/ZRTP instead rather than making
> your own incompatible realisation?

SRTP use DTLS for key exchange. There's also solutions for RTP over DTLS,
but the recommended way is DTLS+SRTP. This is what's standardized for WebRTC,
and the way forward for SIP media as well.

However, I don't see how RTPproxy can be the endpoint for DTLS key exchange, since
it breaks the end2end path. Clients should use TURN relays...

Curious on how you see this working!
/O