[SR-Users] IPv6 addresses in dispatcher on IPv4 only proxy

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 12:14:14 CEST 2012

On 10/11/12 12:00 PM, Alex Hermann wrote:
> On Thursday 11 October 2012, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
>> is USE_IPV6 compile flag still on?
> Yes, the exact same verion is used on the IPv4 and IPv6 proxy processes.
> They're even on the same host.
>

>> Do you get any other error/debug
>> message before that can give an hint why is failing?
> Unfortunately not.
Not even debug messages that could lead to failure point if running with
debug=3?

>> On 10/11/12 10:53 AM, Alex Hermann wrote:
>>> Is there any setting i can use on the IPv4-only proxies to make it skip
>>> the IPv6 records? (apart from listening on an IPv6 address)
>> don't they have access to a dns server that could
> I'm not sure i understand this sentence.
This was mistakenly pasted there, it has no meaning, I finished the
message I wanted to say by my signature.

> A DNS trace show this remarkable lookup:
>
> -> DNS Standard query A [IPv6 address]
> <- DNS Standard query response, No such name
>
> It seems kamailio isn't recognizing the IPv6 address and tries an A lookup on
> the address including the square braces. It does this independent from the
> presence of a listen= statement on an IPv6 address, but the code fails if
> kamailio isn't listening on an IPv6 address...

Is dns_try_ipv6 parameter set to yes in configuration file?

Anyhow, the dns resolve is done for doing keepalives, if it is an ipv4
only, you will get some errors at runtime because there is no socket for
ipv6. Perhaps the fix would require some coding in dispatcher module. An
alternative is to use database views to make available only the groups
you want in this ipv4 instance.

Kamailio Advanced Training, Berlin, Nov 5-8, 2012 - http://asipto.com/u/kat
Kamailio Advanced Training, Miami, USA, Nov 12-14, 2012 - http://asipto.com/u/katu