[SR-Users] Kamailio-Java Integration

Jeremy Ardley jeremy.ardley at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 23:56:57 CET 2012

On 11/25/2012 06:49 AM, Alex Balashov wrote:
> On 11/24/2012 05:41 PM, Sergey Okhapkin wrote:
>
>> Slow Java coupled with real-time SIP protocol? Hmm... Not viable to
>> my point of view.
>
> Despite the stereotype, Java actually performs quite well, and is used
> in highly concurrent, real-time environments like telephony
> extensively.  I think the stereotype about slow interpreted languages
> belongs to the first era of Java (1996-2000(?)), back when it had
> green threads and so on.
>
> Having said that, it is true that the JVM consumes a lot of resources
> just to run at all, and that the bureaucratic fashions of Java are
> chiefly an affectation of the enterprise world.  However, once it
> spools up and gets going, Java is quite fast, and adequate for SIP.
> It has posted comparable benchmarks to C for many scientific computing
> applications for years now.
>
> Initially, I was as surprised by this as you are.

A problem with Java is garbage collection. Every now and then the
application slows down. This is not good for real-time applications
requiring millisecond precision.

There are plenty of other problems with Java as well - startup is
usually very slow. Applications are almost always bloated. And the Java
programming culture of 'throw more iron at it' inevitably produces yet
more bloat.