[SR-Users] Planning for memory

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 09:19:19 CET 2012

Hello,

On 11/18/12 12:52 PM, Moacir Ferreira wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to figure out how much memory a Kamailio server should
> have to support an X number of users, considering that I am running
> Kamailio, MySQL and RTPproxy on the same machine. I am planning to use
> Kamailio at medium/large enterprises, not at service providers but I
> got the following questions:
>
> - Will Kamailio dynamically allocate the system memory it needs or I
> have to tune up the memory it takes? I.e.: If I use 8G memory, will it
> take what it needs or I need to adjust it somewhere?
>
> - How much memory is reasonable for 10K, 50K and 100K users in such
> "enterprise" scenarios?
>
> - Can you reference any documentation from where I can get this
> information?
Kamailio uses its own pool of memory that is specified at startup (-m
and -M command line parameters, see 'man kamailio' or 'kamailio -h').

Usage of mysql or rtpproxy do not impact much what kamailio needs, with
the higher subscribers number, perhaps you are fine with 2-4GB of shared
memory (it can be ok even less, though) and 8MB of private memory.
Shared memory needs are a matter of what caching modules you are using
and number of records (usrloc and location records, tm and active
transactions, dialog and active calls, mtree/lcr/... and afferent records).

You can watch how much memory is used simulating with sipp based on your
config and adjust the values.