[SR-Users] Reload lua script?

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 14:49:17 CEST 2012

Hello,

On 3/29/12 11:49 AM, Javier Gallart wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I'm starting to play with lua scripting in Kamailio. It's really cool,
> some complex stuff in the script becomes really easy this way. The
> script is becoming quite big, therefore I'd like to use lua_run
> instead of lua_dofile. My doubt is pretty  basic: if i load a script
> in memory at startup via the "load" parameter and the script is
> modifed afterwards, is there any way to reload the module so the
> script is reread?
the two contexts created by app_lua were designed one for loading at
startup and the other for reloading every time. Reloading on demand at
runtime is not possible. I thought of checking the timestamp of the
script, but can be a bit risky if saving on intermediary state during
updates. The scripts are loaded in each process, sending a mi/rpc
command will require to do some inter-process signaling. Both doable,
not in my short term plans, though, if someone is contributing, will be
appreciated.

Some options for speed up with existing code:
- you can compile the Lua scripts, so reloading it each time will be
faster (no more compile on-the-fly)
- not sure about this one: in your script loaded at startup you may have
some logic to load another script based on your rules (e.g., file
timestamp, periodically, ...)

Daniel-Constantin Mierla
Kamailio Advanced Training, April 23-26, 2012, Berlin, Germany
http://www.asipto.com/index.php/kamailio-advanced-training/